Thursday, January 17, 2008


So now I'm living in London for the month. Today I headed over to the Tate Modern off the Blackfriars Tube stop. It's free, mostly. Except for the Louise Bourgeois exhibit which I don't care about anyway. Doris Salcedo's installation Shibboleth literally split the museum's foundation in half which is conceptually interesting but kinda boring to look at. The best part, of course, were the tourists taking pictures of it. "Look, it's me crouching down next to a work of installation art!" The other artists whose work I found interesting are, in no particular order:
  • Christian Schad: Better in color but here is his portrait entitled: "Agosta, the Pigeon-Chested Man and Rasha, the Black Dove." Best representation by a Bavarian artist of Pectus Carinatum, ever!
  • Carolee Schneeman I like her video "Meat Joy" even though it started a focus on the body in American art that has only ended with jackoffs like Dash Snow and Ryan Whateverthefuck McGinley.
  • Nicola Tyson: Maybe a little banal but whatever. Pretty.
  • William Sasnal: from Krakow.
  • Jannis Kounellis: Arte Povera follower.